Bork Nomination Day 12, Part 4
The former attorney general under President Eisenhower pointed to the ideological diversity of Eisenhower Supreme Court… read more
The former attorney general under President Eisenhower pointed to the ideological diversity of Eisenhower Supreme Court appointments. He suggested that the Judiciary Committee would be practicing “court packing” to require ideological conformity of the otherwise qualified Judge Bork.
A panel representing police organizations then testified in opposition to Bork. The witnesses expressed concern over Bork’s opinions in labor law cases that apply to police officers.
At the conclusion of testimony, a few of the committee members made brief closing remarks (15 minutes). Senator Kennedy commented on the importance of the hearings and complimented Senator Biden on his chairmanship of the committee. Senators Heflin and Thurmond also spoke briefly. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Brownell, Herbert Attorney General (Former) Department of Justice
- Hampton, Ronald Executive Director National Black Police Association
- Johnson, Harold Representative National Org. Black Law Enforc. Officers
- Kliesmet, Robert Representative International Union of Police Assns.
- Biden, Joseph "Joe" R. Jr. U.S. Senator [D] Delaware
- Grassley, Charles "Chuck" E. U.S. Senator [R] Iowa
- Kennedy, Edward "Ted" M. U.S. Senator [D] Massachusetts
- Metzenbaum, Howard M. U.S. Senator [D] Ohio
- Simpson, Alan K. U.S. Senator [R] Wyoming
- Specter, Arlen U.S. Senator [R] Pennsylvania
- Thurmond, James "Strom" Strom U.S. Senator [R] South Carolina
Senators J. Bennet Johnston (D-LA), David Pryor (D-AR), Alan Simpson (R-WY), and Strom Thurmond (R-SC) each gave brief…
Bork Nomination Day 12, Part 3
Rabbi Handler testified in support of the nomination. He concurred with Bork’s interpretation of the…
Bork Nomination Day 12, Part 2
Ms. LaHaye and Ms. Martinez, a former president of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund,…