Armed Forces Desegregation 50th Anniversary
General Powell and others explained Harry Truman’s concern for the treatment of African-Americans in the United States Armed… read more
General Powell and others explained Harry Truman’s concern for the treatment of African-Americans in the United States Armed Forces. General Powell also described the history of the desegration of the Armed Forces. After his remarks Colin Powell responded to questions from the audience. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Albert Bly President Afro-American Military Historical Assn.
- Larry Hackman Director Truman Presidential Museum and Library
- John Jacob Executive Vice President Anheuser-Busch Companies, Inc.
- Colin L. Powell Chairman (Former) Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Eleanor Schwartz Chancellor University of Missouri, Columbia
Freedom to Serve Forum, Panel 1
A panel discussion was held on the argument that desegregation would impair military efficiency and unit cohesion and…
Freedom to Serve Forum, Keynote Address
Juan Williams talked about change in the military and President Truman’s pivotal role in changing the government…
Book Discussion on American First Ladies
This annual event, held on Bess Truman’s birthday, honors women in general and first ladies…
Book Discussion on Brothers In Arms
Mr. Abdul-Jabbar talked about the book he co-authored, Brothers in Arms: The Epic Story of the 761st Tank…