In the first panel, Senator Specter testified about the bill he created to put a tariff on steel dumping. Senator DeWine testified… read more
In the first panel, Senator Specter testified about the bill he created to put a tariff on steel dumping. Senator DeWine testified about the large number of jobs lost in Ohio due to steel dumping and the need for the legislation that he created to regulate steel dumping. Rep. Levin and Houghton also testified about steel dumping and legislation that they support to prevent it. In the second panel, Secretary Daley testified about the current steel market and the action that has been taken by the Clinton administration to correct the steel dumping problem. Ms. Barchefsky testified about the success the Clinton administration has had in reducing steel dumping, and the legislation the administration currently supports. In the third panel, industry representatives testified about effects that steel dumping has had on the American steel industry and steel workers, and they suggested actions to take. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Curtis Barnette Chairman and CEO Bethlehem Steel Corporation
- Charlene Barshefsky Deputy Trade Representative (Former) Office of the U.S. Trade Representative
- George Becker President United Steelworkers of America->International
- Thomas Belot President and CEO Vollrath Company L.L.C.
- Joseph Cannon Chairman and CEO Geneva Steel Corporation
- William M. Daley Secretary Department of Commerce
- David Daniel President Quality Tubing, Inc.
- Richard "Mike" Michael DeWine U.S. Senator [R] Ohio
- Amory "Amo" Houghton U.S. Representative [R] New York
- Sander Martin Levin U.S. Representative [D] Michigan
- Jack Porter Chief Caterpillar Corporation->Procurement Division
- Arlen Specter U.S. Senator [R] Pennsylvania
- William V. Roth Jr. U.S. Senator [R] Delaware
Foreign Impact on U.S. Steel Industry
Caucus members discussed the impact of foreign labor practices on the U.S. steel industry. Senator Specter chaired…
Trade and Economic Agenda
Secretary Rubin testified that open trade and open markets at home and abroad are beneficial to the economy of the…
Following a meeting with administration officials, Secretary Daley and steel industry officials spoke with reporters…
World Trade Organization Meeting Objectives
Secretaries Glickman, Daley, and Ms. Barshefsky talked about the upcoming World Trade Organization meeting in…