Education in the District of Columbia
Witnesses testified about the condition of the District of Columbia public school system. They focused on the needed repair of school… read more
Witnesses testified about the condition of the District of Columbia public school system. They focused on the needed repair of school buildings and improved technology in the classrooms. They also stressed that parents need to help educate their children outside of a classroom and that community involvement in education was essential. They also talked about new standards set for the schools and the introduction of principal and teacher evaluations. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Arlene C. Ackerman Superintendent District of Columbia->Public Schools
- Kevin P. Chavous Member District of Columbia->City Council
- Maudine Cooper Member District of Columbia Public Schools->Emergency Transitional Education Board
- Maudine Harvey Chair DC Public Schools Emergency Transitional
- Constance Newman Vice Chair DC Financial Control Board
- Anthony A. Williams Mayor District of Columbia
- Judy Biggert U.S. Representative [R] Illinois
- Tom Davis U.S. Representative [R] Virginia
- Stephen "Steve" Horn U.S. Representative [R] California
- Eleanor Holmes Norton Congressional Delegate [D] District of Columbia
Reopening Pennsylvania Avenue in Front of the White House
Witnesses testified about the pros and cons of reopening Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House. The…
District of Columbia Financial Oversight
The subcommittee heard testimony on the financial condition of Washington, DC.
Representatives and school officials shared their experiences of volunteering in the Everybody Wins program which helps…
District of Columbia Mayoral Debate
The mayoral candidates answered questions from reporters and the audience on education and urban neighborhoods.