Chief Justice Confirmation Hearing 2
Prior to confirmation hearings for Judge John Roberts, a compilation of the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings for Justice William… read more
Prior to confirmation hearings for Judge John Roberts, a compilation of the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings for Justice William Rehnquist’s nomination as Chief Justice was shown. Justice Rehnquist gave his testimony from July 29 through August 1 of 1986. Portions were drawn from the second day of hearings on July 30, 1986.
Justice Rehnquist responded to questions from committee members about his views regarding such topics as voter intimidation, cameras in the courtroom, a summerhouse in Vermont, role of federal judiciary, penal reform ballot security issues, and his views on the role of Chief Justice.
President Reagan nominated Justice Rehnquist to become the next Supreme Court Chief Justice on June 20, 1986. The Senate confirmed his nomination on September 17, 1986 with a vote of 65 in favor, 33 opposed. Justice Rehnquist was named to succeed retired Supreme Court Chief Justice Warren Burger. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- James Broyhill U.S. Representative (Former) [R] North Carolina
- William H. Rehnquist Associate Justice U.S. Supreme Court
- Dennis DeConcini U.S. Senator [D] Arizona
- Chuck Grassley U.S. Senator [R] Iowa
- Orrin Hatch U.S. Senator [R] Utah
- Edward "Ted" M. Kennedy U.S. Senator [D] Massachusetts
- Paul Laxalt U.S. Senator [R] Nevada
- Patrick J. Leahy U.S. Senator [D] Vermont
- Mitch McConnell Jr. U.S. Senator [R] Kentucky
- Howard M. Metzenbaum U.S. Senator [D] Ohio
- Paul Simon U.S. Senator [D] Illinois
- Alan K. Simpson U.S. Senator [R] Wyoming