CBS and Viacom Merger
Witnesses testified about a proposed merger between Viacom and CBS. Among the issues they addressed were the growing consolidation of… read more
Witnesses testified about a proposed merger between Viacom and CBS. Among the issues they addressed were the growing consolidation of media outlets, maintaining diversity in viewpoint with less diversity in ownership, and the state of competition in the media market. They also talked about program distribution through broadcast television, cable television, radio and the Internet. close
People in this video
- Sumner M. Redstone Chairman and CEO Viacom, Inc.
- Andrew Jay Schwartzman Executive Director Media Access Project
- David Waterman Professor Indiana University
- Paul Wellstone U.S. Senator [D] Minnesota
- Richard "Mike" Michael DeWine U.S. Senator [R] Ohio
- Herbert "Herb" H. Kohl U.S. Senator [D] Wisconsin
Effects of Telecommunications Mergers
The subcommittee heard testimony concerning the effects of telecommunications mergers.
Mr. Redstone and Mr. Karmazin announced that CBS and Viacom planned to merge the two companies. The…
Witnesses testified about the state of public television and the future of public television programming and…
Media Ownership Issues
Commissioners Copps and Adelstein held a meeting for public advocates to express their concerns of proposals before the…