Senators examined the findings of the Amtrak Reform Council report,
which outlined Amtrak organization and the performance of the railroad.
Amtrak officials and senators debated the future role of Amtrak in America.
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Gilbert Carmichael Administrator Department of Transportation
- Kenneth M. Mead Inspector General Department of Transportation
- William Millar President American Public Transportation Assn.
- Catherine Ross Executive Director Georgia Regional Transportation Authority
- Tommy Thompson Governor Wisconsin
- George Warrington President and CEO Amtrak
- Max Cleland U.S. Senator [D] Georgia
- Kay Bailey Hutchison U.S. Senator [R] Texas
- John F. Kerry U.S. Senator [D] Massachusetts
Amtrak and High Speed Rail Financial Status
Witnesses testified about the future of Amtrak and the financial solvency of passenger rail travel.
Future of Amtrak
Witnesses testified about the future operations of Amtrak, federal subsidy levels, company profitability, and the…
Passenger Rail Transportation
Witnesses testified regarding plans for the restructuring of Amtrak and the creation of inner city passenger rail…
Passenger and Freight Rail Security
Witnesses testified regarding rail security for passengers and freight. It was generally agreed that, although…