Measures Introduced: Eleven bills and one resolution were introduced, as follows: S. 2214-2224, and S. Con. Res. 92. br/ Pages… read more
Measures Introduced: Eleven bills and one resolution were introduced, as follows: S. 2214-2224, and S. Con. Res. 92.
Export Administration Act: Senate began consideration of S. 1712, to provide authority to control exports, taking action on the following amendment proposed thereto:
Reid Amendment No. 2883, to amend the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 1998 with respect to export controls on high performance computers.
Subsequently, the bill was returned to the Senate calendar.
FAA Authorization Conference Report: By 82 yeas to 17 nays (Vote No. 35), Senate agreed to the conference report on H.R. 1000, to amend title 49, United States Code, to reauthorize programs of the Federal Aviation Administration.
Pages S1247-67, S1300-01
During today’s proceedings, the Senate also took the following actions:
By 86 yeas to 13 nays (Vote No. 36), three-fifths of those Senators duly chosen and sworn having voted in the affirmative, Senate agreed to close further debate on the nomination of Marsha L. Berzon, of California, to be a United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit.
By 85 yeas to 14 nays (Vote No. 37), three-fifths of those Senators duly chosen and sworn having voted in the affirmative, Senate agreed to close further debate on the nomination of Richard A. Paez, of California, to be a United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit.
Nominations Agreement: A unanimous-consent-time agreement was reached providing for further consideration of the nominations of Marsha L. Berzon and Richard A. Paez, both of California, each to be a United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit, on Thursday, March 9, 2000, with votes to occur on or in relation to their confirmation to occur at 2 p.m.
Messages From the President: Senate received the following messages from the President of the United States:
Transmitting, pursuant to the Trade Act of 1974, the report of normal trade relations with the People’s Republic of China; to the Committee on Finance. (PM-90)
Transmitting, pursuant to law, a report entitled ``The National Money Laundering Strategy for 2000''; to the Committee on Judiciary. (PM-91)
Messages From the President:
Measures Placed on Calendar:
Executive Reports of Committees:
Statements on Introduced Bills:
Notices of Hearings:
Authority for Committees:
Privileges of the Floor:
Record Votes: Three record votes were taken today. (Total--37)
Adjournment: Senate convened at 9:30 a.m., and adjourned at 7:09 p.m., until 9:30 a.m., on Thursday, March 9, 2000. (For Senate’s program, see the remarks of the Majority Leader in today’s Record on page S1330.) close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Richard Bryan U.S. Senator [D] Nevada
- Max Cleland U.S. Senator [D] Georgia
- Michael "Mike" Crapo U.S. Senator [R] Idaho
- Thomas "Tom" A. Daschle U.S. Senator [D] South Dakota
- Dick J. Durbin U.S. Senator [D] Illinois
- Michael "Mike" B. Enzi U.S. Senator [R] Wyoming
- Slade Thomas Gorton III U.S. Senator [R] Washington
- William "Phil" Philip Gramm U.S. Senator [R] Texas
- Rod Grams U.S. Senator [R] Minnesota
- Jesse Helms U.S. Senator [R] North Carolina
- Ernest "Fritz" F. Hollings U.S. Senator [D] South Carolina
- Tim Hutchinson U.S. Senator [R] Arkansas
- Kay Bailey Hutchison U.S. Senator [R] Texas
- Tim P. Johnson U.S. Senator [D] South Dakota
- J. "Robert" Robert Kerrey U.S. Senator [D] Nebraska
- Mary Landrieu U.S. Senator [D] Louisiana
- Frank R. Lautenberg U.S. Senator [D] New Jersey
- Patrick J. Leahy U.S. Senator [D] Vermont
- Joseph "Joe" Lieberman U.S. Senator [D] Connecticut
- Trent Lott U.S. Senator [R] Mississippi
- Frank H. Murkowski U.S. Senator [R] Alaska
- Patty Murray U.S. Senator [D] Washington
- Harry Reid U.S. Senator [D] Nevada
- Charles S. Robb U.S. Senator [D] Virginia
- Jay D. Rockefeller IV U.S. Senator [D] West Virginia
- Jeff Sessions U.S. Senator [R] Alabama
- Arlen Specter U.S. Senator [R] Pennsylvania
- Theodore "Ted" F. Stevens U.S. Senator [R] Alaska
- Fred Thompson U.S. Senator [R] Tennessee
- Robert G. Torricelli U.S. Senator [D] New Jersey
- Ronald "Ron" Lee Wyden U.S. Senator [D] Oregon
Federal Budget Process
Senate Minority Leader Daschle and several Democrats on the Senate Budget Committee criticized Republicans for not…
105th Congress Preview
The guests discussed the makeup of the 105th Congress, including races which will have runoff elections in December…
The senators commented on their hopes for the federal budget. Each party criticized the br/ other’s plan for…
Senator Gramm said that the deliberations should be closed just as a regular jury would do. He stated that the…