A memorial service was held in Statuary Hall of the U.S. Capitol for Rep. Silvio O. Conte who died on Feb. 8, 1991. The speakers… read more
A memorial service was held in Statuary Hall of the U.S. Capitol for
Rep. Silvio O. Conte who died on Feb. 8, 1991. The speakers
remembered Conte and told stories about the colorful representative.
Rep. Conte, who had served in Congress since 1958, was the only Republican
from Massachusetts and was the ranking minority member of the House
Appropriations Committee. He was known for his speeches on the floor
that often mixed humor and verse and attacks on pork barrel
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- James A. Baker III Secretary Department of State
- Edward Patrick Boland U.S. Representative (Former) [D] Massachusetts
- Silvio O. Conte U.S. Representative [R] Massachusetts
- Thomas "Tom" S. Foley U.S. Representative [D] Washington
- James David Ford Chaplain U.S. House of Representatives
- Edward "Ted" M. Kennedy U.S. Senator [D] Massachusetts
- Robert H. Michel U.S. Representative [R] Illinois
- Joe Moakley U.S. Representative [D] Massachusetts
- J. Donald Monan President Boston College
- Cokie Roberts Correspondent ABC News->Congress
The House passed H.R. 598, to improve the capability of the Department of Veterans Affairs to recruit and retain…
The House passed H. Con. Res. 41, condemning the Iraqi attack against Israel. The House passed H.…
A Resolution expressing support for the United States Forces in the Persian Gulf will be considered Friday, January 18,…
The House passed S. Con. Res. 2, supporting the United States presence in the Persian Gulf.