Justin Dart, Jr. Memorial Service
The disability rights advocate died June 22 at age 71. On the 12th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA),… read more
The disability rights advocate died June 22 at age 71. On the 12th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Mrs. Dart, family and friends hosted a celebration honoring Justin Dart, Jr.'s life and contributions to the causes of people with disabilities, including passage of the ADA. The service also included performances by Reverend Nolan Williams, Jr. and the Psalmists Gospel Ensemble; Nura Aly, 7th grade activist and violinist; and his widow, Yoshiko Dart and family singing Sakura, a traditional Japanese song about cherry blossoms. In addition, Mr. Dart, Jr. had chosen selected advocates to participate in the program as representatives of the full spectrum of people with disabilities.
This program is closed captioned for the hearing impaired. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Clinton, Bill U.S. President (Former) [D] United States
- Dart, Idar Daughter Justin Dart, Jr.
- Dart, Yoshiko Spouse Justin Dart, Jr.
- Frieden, Lex Chair National Council on Disability
- Gench, Roger J. Pastor New York Avenue Presbyterian Church (Washington, DC)
- Henderson, Wade Executive Director Leadership Conference on Civil Rights
- Imparato, Andrew J. President and CEO American Assn. of People with Disabilities
- Kafka, Bob National Organizer American Disabled for Attendent Programs Today
- McDonald, Gina Executive Director Kansas Assoc. of Centers for Indep. Living
- Neas, Ralph G. President People for the American Way
- Robinson, Debbie Financial Advocate Speaking for Ourselves
- Thornburgh, Ginny Vice President National Organization on Disability->Religion and Disability Programs
- Thornburgh, Richard Attorney General (Former) Pennsylvania
- Washington, Dana Grandchild Justin Dart, Jr.
- Washington, Joe Son-in-Law Justin Dart, Jr.
- Wright, Patrisha Director of Gov. Affairs Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund
Compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act
Council officials discussed the release of a report on federal enforcement of the Americans
with Disabilities Act.
Americans With Disabilities Act Anniversary
Former President Bush spoke at a gala observing the 15th anniversary of the signing of the Americans with Disabilities…
Civil Rights Issues
The speakers talked about the controversy over Senator Lott’s remarks at a recent 100th birthday celebration for…
Achievements of Women in the Workforce
Secretary Chao spoke about the contributions of women in the workforce and her personal experiences working in…