America and the Courts featured a conversation with Justice Stevens and Solicitor General Olson. They were questioned by legal experts… read more
America and the Courts featured a conversation with Justice Stevens and Solicitor General Olson. They were
questioned by legal experts on issues such as national security
versus civil liberties, Justice Stevens' reputation as a "Lone Ranger in a
black robe," due to the number of dissenting opinions he has issued since
joining the bench in 1975, and whether either has a favorite room or place
in the Supreme Court building.
The Ninth Circuit is the largest of the thirteen federal circuits
encompassing nine Western states, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands.
The Judicial Conference is the annual gathering of judges who sit on the
bench of the U.S. Courts of the Ninth Circuit. close
People in this video
- Paul Friedman Chairman Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference->Program Committee
- Susan Illston Judge U.S. District Court->Northern District of California
- Theodore "Ted" B. Olson Solicitor General Department of Justice
- John Paul Stevens Associate Justice U.S. Supreme Court
- Robert Torres Member Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference->Attorney Representatives Coordinating Cmte.
Mr. Olson spoke about his work as Solicitor General and the Work of the Supreme Court.
Supreme Court Affirmative Action Arguments
Justices heard oral arguments on two cases involving affirmative action and college admissions practices. At 10…
Supreme Court Issues
Justice Stevens appeared at the annual meeting of the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges in San Diego. He…
Detention of Foreign Nationals Oral Arguments
Justices heard oral arguments in two cases involving the detention of foreign nationals captured abroad and…