America's Blood Supply
Witnesses testified about the state of the U.S. blood supply, blood donations, and the destruction of blood units after over-donation in response to September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
People in this video
- Dariotis, Jeanne President American's Blood Centers
- Epstein, Jay Official Food and Drug Administration
- Fitzpatrick, Glen Director Armed Forces Blood Program
- Goodnough, Lawrence Professor Washington University in St. Louis->School of Medicine
- Hauer, Jerome Assistant Secretary (Acting) Department of Health and Human Services->Public Health Preparedness
- Heinrich, Janet Director General Accounting Office->Health Financing and Public Health
- Lipton, Karen Shoos Chief Executive Officer American Association of Blood Banks
- Ross, Allan Vice President American Red Cross
- Deutsch, Peter U.S. Representative [D] Florida
- Greenwood, James "Jim" C. U.S. Representative [R] Pennsylvania
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome
The hearing began with a remote statement to the committee by World Health Organization’s David Heymann,…
In Remembrance of September 11 Attacks
In a ceremony to honor those lost in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the U.S., Secretary Thompson and…
Secretary Thompson and others talked about the importance of blood donation and talked about a federal blood drive.
Healthcare and emergency management experts testified about U.S. ability to respond to biological attacks by terrorists.