March on Washington 40th Anniversary
A ceremony was held to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the March on Washington in the U.S. Capitol’s Statuary Hall with speeches by… read more
A ceremony was held to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the March on Washington in the U.S. Capitol’s Statuary Hall with speeches by many dignitaries. The event included music and Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream Speech.” (The actual anniversary is August 28th). Rep. John Lewis (D-GA), who spoke at the 1963 March, organized the event.
250,000 people gathered on the National Mall on August 28,1963 for the March on Washington. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Joe Crowley U.S. Representative [D] New York
- Thomas "Tom" A. Daschle U.S. Senator [D] South Dakota
- William "Bill" Frist M.D. U.S. Senator [R] Tennessee
- Dennis Hastert U.S. Representative [R] Illinois
- Edward "Ted" M. Kennedy U.S. Senator [D] Massachusetts
- John Lewis U.S. Representative [D] Georgia
- Marc H. Morial Mayor (Former) New Orleans, LA
- Eleanor Holmes Norton Congressional Delegate [D] District of Columbia
- Nancy Pelosi U.S. Representative [D] California
- Ruby Robertson Opera Singer National Cathedral
A Celebration of the Legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.
A ceremony was held honoring Martin Luther King, Jr., the day before the 40th anniversary of his death on April 4,…
September 11 Remembrance Ceremony
Speaking on a sunny fall day much like the one that rocked the world two years ago, the five leaders of Congress…
Sakakawea Statue Dedication
The dedication of North Dakota’s second statue in Statuary Hall, Sakakawea. A Shoshone, she served as a…
Congressional Gold Medal Ceremony for Jackie Robinson
Government officials and leaders participated in a ceremony to award the Congressional Gold Medal to the late Jackie…