U.S. Congressman Hastings, president of the parliamentary assembly, introduced the speakers. Topics included democracy, freedom,… read more
U.S. Congressman Hastings, president of the parliamentary assembly, introduced the speakers. Topics included democracy, freedom, worldwide human rights, genocide, terrorism, gender issues, and the revolution in Ukraine. The OSCE secretary-general also spoke about the goals of the organization. Special Representative Tinsgaard proposed a resolution to improve the status of women in democracies, followed by a debate on the gender issue resolution. Mr. Skrypin was presented the Parliamentary Assembly’s 2005 OSCE Prize for Journalism and Democracy for Ukraine Television Channel 5's promotion of principles of human rights and democracy.
Translation into English was by translator.
The parliamentary assembly is part of the OSCE structure and provides a link between the governmental side of OSCE and parliamentarians from the 55 OSCE countries. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Brownback, Samuel "Sam" U.S. Senator [R] Kansas
- De Brichambaut, Marc Perrin Secretary-General Organization for Security and Co-Operation in Europe
- Hastings, Alcee L. U.S. Representative [D] Florida
- Paez Verdugo, Sergio President Inter-Parliamentary Union
- Skrypin, Roman Commentator Ukraine TV and Radio
- Tinsgaard, Tone Special Representative Organization for Security and Co-Operation in Europe->Parliamentary Assembly
More Videos From
Opening portions of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe’s fourteenth annual session of its…
Book Discussion on Treachery
Mr. Gertz spoke about his book on book on weapon proliferation and other topics in the news. He expressed…
Europe Response to Madrid Bombings
The guests talked about European views of the terrorist bombings in Madrid, elections in various European countries,…
National Intelligence and Cultural Understanding
Witnesses testified about ways to make U.S. intelligence service members more diverse in language skills, and ethnic…