Cancer Treatment and Survival
As a follow-up to its recent report, Living Beyond Cancer: Finding a New Balance, the President’s Cancer Panel held meetings on… read more
As a follow-up to its recent report, Living Beyond Cancer: Finding a New Balance, the President’s Cancer Panel held meetings on August 25 and 26 in the Dupont Ballroom of the Washington (DC) Marriott. These 1-day meetings brought together key stakeholders with the goal of identifying actionable steps that could alleviate the burdens experienced by cancer survivors and their families.
On August 26, 2005, the panel held a meeting on “Assessing Progress, Advancing Change: Challenges in Cancer Survivorship.” During the morning session, Mr. Leslie moderated a roundtable titled “Research Issues in Adolescents and Young Adults (AYA).”
Participants, including 7-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong, addressed issues and recommendations regarding cancer survivors diagnosed as young adults. They talked about the challenges involved in surviving cancer, access to health insurance for cancer survivors, treatment costs, and proposals to improve services. After their discussion, they responded to questions and comments from members of the audience. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Lance Armstrong Member President's Cancer Panel
- Alan J. Balch Executive Director Friends of Cancer Research
- Archie Bleyer Medical Adviser St. Charles Medical Center->Cancer Treatment Center
- Brenda K. Edwards Associate Director National Cancer Institute->Surveillance Research Program
- Ronit Elk Program Director American Cancer Society->Cancer Control and Prevention: Health Policy and Health Services
- Brandon M. Hayes-Lattin Assistant Professor Oregon Health and Science University->Medical School
- Sandra J. Horning Chairman American Society of Clinical Oncology Foundation->Board of Directors
- Eugenie S. Kleinerman Pediatrician Anderson (M.D.) Cancer Center
- Margaret L. Kripke Member President's Cancer Panel
- Lasalle D. Leffall Jr. Chair President's Cancer Panel
- David E. Leslie President Schmitt and Leslie, Inc.
- Anna T. Meadows Medical Director Children's Hospital of Philadelphia->Cancer Survivorship and Living Well After Cancer Program
- Kevin C. Oeffinger Director Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center->Living Beyond Cancer: A Program for Adult Survivors of Pediatric Cancer
- Kutluk Oktay Associate Professor Weill (Joan and Sanford I.) Medical College->Center for Reproductive Medicine and Infertility
- Julia H. Rowland Director National Cancer Institute->Office of Cancer Survivorship
- Scott Saxman Senior Investigator National Cancer Institute->Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program
- Douglas Ulman Chairman National Cancer Institute->Director's Consumer Liaison Group
Cancer Treatment in America
At an open meeting, President Bush’s Cancer Panel heard from health care leaders on improving cancer…
Minorities and Cancer
The Intercultural Cancer Council’s 10th Biennial Symposium on Minorities, the Medically Underserved and Cancer…
Fiscal Year 2008 Medicare Budget
Leslie Norwalk testified on the fiscal year 2008 budget proposal for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
Health Care Agenda
Rep. Thomas, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, spoke at the National Press Club about health…