Nuclear Nonproliferation and Historians Panel
Ambassador Fahmy, Secretary Bodman, and Ms. Giannella addressed a day-long conference on nuclear non-proliferation issues. They… read more
Ambassador Fahmy, Secretary Bodman, and Ms. Giannella addressed a day-long conference on nuclear non-proliferation issues. They talked about the threats to international security posed by nuclear and other weapons proliferation, the interest in nuclear technology by rogue states international terrorism cells, international monitoring efforts in several regions including Iran and North Korea, the status of nuclear disarmament agreements, and the need to reduce weapons stockpiles while encouraging the peaceful use of nuclear energy and medicine technologies.
Following Ms. Gianella’s remarks, footage from the documentary film Genie In a Bottle: Unleashed, created by two 13-year-old boys from Chicago, was shown. Stephen Sotor and Trace Gaynor spoke about their film and its presentation at the Children’s International Film Festival in Chicago, Illinois.
Historians participated in a panel on the history and proliferation of the atomic bomb. Ms. Robbins moderated the discussion. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Samuel W. Bodman Secretary Department of Energy
- Joseph Cirincione Director Carnegie Endowment for International Peace->Non-Proliferation Project
- Nabil Fahmy Ambassador Egypt->United States
- Trace Gaynor Student
- Annalisa Giannella Representative European Union->Non-Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Rose E. Gottemoeller Senior Associate Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Robert Standish Norris Senior Analyst Natural Resources Defense Council->Nuclear Weapons
- Richard Rhodes Author
- Carla Anne Robbins Chief Correspondent Wall Street Journal->Diplomacy
- Jonathan Schell Fellow Nation Institute
- Stephen Sotor Student
More Videos From
Nuclear NonproliferationMore Videos
Speakers discussed several topics, including new approaches to nuclear non-proliferation, the U.S.…
Participants talked about new proposals to strengthen nuclear non-proliferation treaties, prevent the spread of weapons…
Participants talked about intelligence on Iraqi weapons programs prior to military operations in Iraq, as well as…
Officials talked about nuclear non-proliferation issues, the threat of possible use of nuclear weapons by terrorist…