State of the Black Union 2006: Defining the Agenda
In the first panel of an afternoon session of State of the Black Union 2006 titled, “Defining the African American Agenda, Part… read more
In the first panel of an afternoon session of State of the Black Union 2006 titled, “Defining the African American Agenda, Part II,” participants focused on the State of the Black Union 2005 proposal for a covenant with black America. Panelists discussed the challenges facing the black community, ideas proposed in the book, The Covenant with Black America, and future leadership within the black community. They also talked about the impact of Hurricane Katrina on the Gulf Coast communities and the significance of poor federal response efforts to the disaster for future national policy. They also responded to questions submitted by members of the audience.
The Covenant with Black America, published by Third World Press, was edited by Tavis Smiley who moderated the panel. It outlines ten issues identified by the public: education, criminal justice system, police accountability, healthcare and well being, economic development and employment, housing and community development, participating in the democratic process, information technology, rural communities, and environmental justice.
Angela Blackwell was misidentified on-screen.
The event was held at St. Agnes Baptist Church. The Rev. Lowery gave the afternoon invocation.
This event was sponsored by Tavis Smiley Presents. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Blackwell, Angela Glover Founder and CEO PolicyLink
- Brown, Raymond Representative National Action Network
- Crenshaw, Kimberle Williams Professor Columbia University->Law School
- Farrakhan, Louis Minister Nation of Islam
- Henderson, Wade Executive Director Leadership Conference on Civil Rights
- Jackson, Harry R. Jr. Founder and Chairman High Impact Leadership Coalition
- Jackson Lee, Sheila U.S. Representative [D] Texas
- Lowery, Joseph E. Chairman Emeritus Black Leadership Forum
- Seymore, Alvin Survivor
- Sharpton, Al Jr. Founder and President National Action Network
- Smiley, Tavis Talk Show Host PBS
- Smith, Rochelle Survivor
- Watt, Melvin U.S. Representative [D] North Carolina
- West, Cornel Professor Princeton University->Religion and African Amer.Studies
- Winters, Jackie State Senator Oregon
More Videos From
State of the Black Union 2006: Economic Empowerment
- State of the Black Union 2006: Economic Empowerment
- State of the Black Union 2006: Defining the Agenda
State of the Black Union 2005: Defining the Agenda, Part 1
In the first panel of an afternoon session titled “State of the Black Union 2005: Defining the African American…
State of the Black Union 2008, Afternoon Session
Leaders in education, public policy, religion, and black communities discussed the role of the African-American vote in…
State of the Black Union 2007, Afternoon Session
Leaders in education, public policy, religion, and black communities discussed the future impact of African Americans…
Strengthening the Black Family, Morning Session
Participants spoke at an annual forum titled Tavis Smiley Presents: The State of the Black Union: “Strengthening…