No Child Left Behind Hearing on Testing
Witnesses testified in the second in a series of regional hearings on the No Child Left Behind Act. Several Connecticut officials… read more
Witnesses testified in the second in a series of regional hearings on the No Child Left Behind Act. Several Connecticut officials talked about the debate in that state over testing and how to ensure that assessments are designed to help students and their schools. Other topics included improving states' data systems used to document educational achievement, noting that most states are unable to track the achievement of individual students.
Public comments were also offered by audience members.
Former Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson and former Georgia Governor Roy Barnes co-chaired the hearing.
The Commission on No Child Left Behind is a bipartisan, independent commission that will examine the strengths and weaknesses of the No Child Left Behind Act and make recommendations. Its purpose is to ensure the law is an effective tool in spurring academic achievement and closing the achievement gap. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Aimee Guidera Director National Center for Educational Accountability->Data Quality Campaign
- Thomas Hobart President Emeritus New York State United Teachers
- Stuart Kahl President Measured Progress
- Joel I. Klein Chancellor New York City Dept. of Education
- Jaymie Kosa Teacher West Windsor-Plainsboro Middle School
- Andrea Messina Vice Chair Charlotte County, FL->School Board
- James A. Peyser Chairman Massachusetts->Board of Education
- James Pughsley Superintendent (Former) Charlotte-Mecklenburg (NC) Public Schools
- Jennifer Smith Director Principal Leadership Initiative
- Ed Sontag Senior Adviser Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Betty J. Sternberg Commissioner Connecticut->Department of Education
- William L. Taylor Chair Citizens' Commission on Civil Rights
- Tommy Thompson Co-Chairman Wisconsin
Connecticut Democratic Party Senate Campaign
Connecticut Democratic Party leaders spoke to reporters about the results of the primary election and stated their…
Education Funding Lawsuit
Mr. Blumenthal via video feed discussed the filing of a federal lawsuit on Monday by the state of Connecticut that…
Reforming Urban Schools
Joel Klein offered his ideas on how to reform urban schools. His goal was to create a system of great schools…
Elementary and Secondary Education Act
Education officials testified on the re-authorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act. They focused…