Welfare Reform 10th Anniversary
As part of a symposium on “Welfare Reform at 10: Marking the Milestone,” the first panel, moderated by Kate O’Beirne,… read more
As part of a symposium on “Welfare Reform at 10: Marking the Milestone,” the first panel, moderated by Kate O’Beirne, discussed the 1996 welfare reform legislation and analyzed its successes in the past ten years. Topics included helping the poor become self-sufficient, incentives and work, and promoting marriage and family. After their presentations the participants responded to audience members' questions.
Moderated by Matthew Weidinger, the second panel discussed welfare reform in the U.S. and abroad, including topics such as employment rates, racial differences, changes in family composition, entitlement, social welfare system reform in Europe, and class-oriented politics. After their presentations the participants responded to audience members' questions.
Assistant Secretary Horn delivered closing remarks on “Building on the Foundation.” He also responded to audience members' questions.
The program begins abruptly and is missing approximately 30 seconds. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Anderson, Eloise Director Claremont Institute->Program for the American Family
- Feulner, Edwin J. Jr. President Heritage Foundation
- Greenberg, Mark H. Senior Staff Attorney Center for Law and Social Policy
- Haskins, Ronald Senior Fellow Brookings Institution->Economic Studies
- Horn, Wade F. Assistant Secretary Department of Health and Human Services->Children and Families
- Mead, Lawrence M. Professor New York University->Politics Department
- O'Beirne, Kate Editor National Review->Washington, DC
- O'Neill, June Professor Baruch College->Economics and Finance
- Rector, Robert E. Senior Research Fellow Heritage Foundation->Domestic Policy Studies
- Turner, Jason A. Visiting Fellow Heritage Foundation->Welfare Policy
- Weidinger, Matthew Staff Director Ways and Means->Subcommittee on Human Resources
- Wiseman, Michael Visiting Scholar Social Security Administration->Income Assistance Policy
The panelists talked about recent reforms in welfare programs and their effects on welfare recipients. They…
Poverty and Income in 2006
Following remarks by Strobe Talbott and Mayor Bloomberg on poverty and social policy, participants talked about a…
Poverty in the U.S.
The guests debated U.S. poverty issues, included recently issued Census Bureau poverty figures. They noted that…
Poverty and Income Data
A panel discussion was held on new figures released that day by the U.S. Census Bureau on income, poverty, and health…