Welfare and Tax Policy
Moderated by Mr. Steuerle, a panel of experts discussed the topic, “Making Taxes and Welfare Work Together.” Panel members… read more
Moderated by Mr. Steuerle, a panel of experts discussed the topic, “Making Taxes and Welfare Work Together.” Panel members talked about a welfare system of roughly 85 overlapping federal tax and transfer programs providing cash, food, health care, and other benefits to low-income families that is uncoordinated, unnecessarily complicated, inequitable, and expensive to administer. In addition, as some low-income families make financial progress, higher taxes and benefit reductions can combine to discourage individuals from working more or improving their job skills. The panelists offered the possible solution of combining as many tax and welfare programs as possible into a comprehensive system of refundable tax credits. After their presentations, the panelists responded to audience members' questions.
Professor Forman wrote the book, Making America Work, published by Urban Institute Press. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Kathy Courrier Vice President Urban Institute, The->Communications
- Jonathan B. Forman Professor University of Oklahoma->College of Law
- Janet Holtzblatt Economist Department of the Treasury->Office of Tax Analysis
- Iris J. Lav Deputy Director Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Robert I. Lerman Senior Fellow Urban Institute, The->Center on Labor, Human Services and Population
- C. Eugene Steuerle Co-Founder and Co-Director Urban Institute, The->Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center
Tax and Fiscal Policy
The panelists talked about tax policy, fiscal policy, President Bush’s economic stimulus plan, and how these…
Tax Credits and Welfare Programs
Witnesses testified about U.S. tax credits and welfare programs, and whether the programs discouraged work and higher…
Federal Income Tax
Panelists talked about the history of the federal income tax, which was enabled by the ratification of the Sixteenth…
Evaluation of Social Class in the U.S.
Mr. Broder moderated this panel on the declining importance of class in the U.S. After the opening presentation by…