R.W. Apple, Jr. Memorial Service
A memorial service was held for R.W. “Johnny” Apple, Jr. Mr. Apple, a correspondent and editor at The New York Times… read more
A memorial service was held for R.W. “Johnny” Apple, Jr. Mr. Apple, a correspondent and editor at The New York Times for more than forty years, died October 4, 2006, in Washington, D.C. A letter from former President Jimmy Carter was read, as well as one from Walter Pincus. Friends, relatives, and colleagues praised Apple’s uniqueness and told humorous stories of their experiences with him. They also lauded his journalistic work.
The service was held in the Kennedy Center’s Eisenhower Theater. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Apple, R.W. "Johnny" Jr. Associate Editor New York Times
- Brown, John Relative R.W. "Johnny" Apple Jr.
- Carter, Hodding III Professor University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill->Leadership and Public Policy
- Collins, Catherine Brown Relative R.W. "Johnny" Apple Jr.
- Lelyveld, Joseph Executive Editor (Former) New York Times
- Martin, Jarek Columnist Financial Times
- McCain, John S. III U.S. Senator [R] Arizona
- Owen, David Foreign Secretary (Former) United Kingdom
- Purdum, Todd S. Editor Vanity Fair->Washington Office
- Randal, Jonathan Author
- Trillin, Calvin Essayist (Former) New Yorker Magazine
- Waters, Alice Restaurant Owner
- Wexler, Anne Chairman Wexler Group
Art Buchwald Memorial Service
A memorial service was held for humorist Art Buchwald. Media luminaries, dignitaries, family and friends eulogized…
National Press Foundation Awards Dinner
The National Press Foundation hosted its twenty-first annual awards dinner at the Washington Hilton. Introductory…
Following a tribute to the late cartoonist Charles Schultz, participants announced the creation of two endowments to…
Kuralt Fourth Estate Award
The participants paid tribute to Charles Kuralt, the winner of the Fourth Estate Award. Mr. Kuralt is a…