Human Rights in Russia
A panel discussion was held on human rights in Russia and the effects of the former Soviet Union’s gulag prison system on Russia and… read more
A panel discussion was held on human rights in Russia and the effects of the former Soviet Union’s gulag prison system on Russia and human rights around the world. The panelists emphasized the affects of the Carter Administration on the condition of Soviet dissidents. Also discussed were the implications of nuclear weapons in the discourse that followed human rights policies. The panelists also responded to questions submitted by members of the audience. Karin Ryan moderated.
Sergei Kovalev is a Russian human rights activist and former Gulag prisoner. Ivan Kovalev was on stage to translate. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Jimmy Carter U.S. President (Former) [D] United States
- Larry Cox Executive Director Amnesty International USA
- Isaac Newton Farris Jr. President Martin Luther King, Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change
- Judy Forte Superintendent Martin Luther King Jr. Natl. Hist. Site
- Sergei Kovalyov Aide Russia->Yeltsin, B., President
- Karin Ryan Program Director Carter (Jimmy) Center->Human Rights Program
- Andrew Young Ambassador (Former) United States->United Nations
Recommendations on Human Rights Agenda
Former President Jimmy Carter and U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights br/ Navanethem Pillay presented…
Conversation with Rosalynn Carter
Conversations at The Carter Center featured the “First Lady From Plains,” Rosalynn Carter, who was joined…
Town Hall Meeting
Former President and Mrs. Carter spoke about their activities on behalf of the Carter Center. Among the…
The speakers discussed conflicts in various countries around the world.