Book Discussion on Violent Politics
William Polk talked about his book Violent Politics: A History of Insurgency, Terrorism, and Guerrilla War, from the American Revolution to… read more
William Polk talked about his book Violent Politics: A History of Insurgency, Terrorism, and Guerrilla War, from the American Revolution to Iraq, published by Harper. In his book he relays examples of insurgent action throughout history including the Revolutionary War, Algerian War for independence, and Vietnam. He draws parallels between prior guerilla wars and activity in Afghanistan and Iraq today. In his presentation he included his recommendations for action to disengage from Iraq. Mr. Polk responded to questions from the representatives.
William Polk was formerly a history professor with a concentration on the Middle East at Harvard University and the University of Chicago. He is the author of numerous books, including Understanding Iraq and The United States and the Arab World.
The event, sponsored by the Congressional Progressive Caucus and the Out of Iraq Caucus, took place in the Cannon Caucus Room. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Clarke, Yvette D. U.S. Representative [D] New York
- Cohen, Stephen "Steve" U.S. Representative [D] Tennessee
- Ellison, Keith U.S. Representative [D] Minnesota
- Hinchey, Maurice U.S. Representative [D] New York
- Jackson Lee, Sheila U.S. Representative [D] Texas
- Lee, Barbara U.S. Representative [D] California
- Polk, William R. Founding Director University of Chicago->Center for Middle Eastern Studies
- Waters, Maxine U.S. Representative [D] California
- Watson, Diane U.S. Representative [D] California
- Woolsey, Lynn U.S. Representative [D] California