U.S. Helsinki Commission Hearing
The co-chairs of the U.S. Helsinki Commission heard testimony on torture and other banned treatment of prisoners. Topics included… read more
The co-chairs of the U.S. Helsinki Commission heard testimony on torture and other banned treatment of prisoners. Topics included human rights violations, radical social movements on the left and right, research on the Rwandan genocide, and the U.S. intelligence community’s “Combating Terrorism” program.
Thomas Hilde is the editor of the book, On Torture, which includes definitions of torture, its use as a means of control and extracting information, and use of government-sanctioned torture in the modern era.
Devon Chaffee was a contributing author of the 2007 publication issued jointly by Human Rights First and Physicians for Human Rights, Leave No Marks: Enhanced Interrogation Techniques and the Risk of Criminality. close
People in this video
- Ben Cardin Co-Chair Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Devon Chaffee Attorney Human Rights First
- Christian Davenport Professor University of Maryland, College Park->Political Science
- Alcee L. Hastings Co-Chair Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Thomas Hilde Research Professor University of Maryland, College Park->School of Public Policy
- C. "Dan" D. Mote Jr. President University of Maryland, College Park
- Malcolm Nance Director Special Readiness Services Intl.
University of Maryland Commencement
Ms. Height talked about the struggles for civil rights and equal rights, getting involved, giving to others, and…
Senator Edwards spoke to students about education policy. Among the topics he addressed were access to higher…
Middle East Issues
Secretary-General Annan spoke at an annual Anwar Sadat lecture on peace. In his remarks he talked about various…
Maryland Gubernatorial Debate
The candidates debated about issues of national and local importance. They took questions from a panel of…