This was the first of a series of hearings on China and was entitled "U.S.-China Relations in the Era of Globalization". The first panel… read more
This was the first of a series of hearings on China and was entitled "U.S.-China Relations in the Era of Globalization".
The first panel consisted of Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte. He talked about U.S.-Chinese engagement efforts. He argued for a strong U.S. military, economic, and political presence in Asia, combined with diplomatic engagement and dialogue to foster the most beneficial relationships between the U.S. and China.
The second panel consisted of Richard Haass, Kurt Campbell, and Harry Harding. Richard Haass argued for a decrease in nationalism and an increase in responsibility in world affairs on the part of China. Kurt Campbell recommended that the U.S. reassert its strategic presence, maintain bilateral ties, and actively engage in regional and multilateral forums. Harry Harding talked about the necessary benchmarks that China must pass in order to be a responsible stakeholder in world affairs. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Kurt M. Campbell Co-Founder and CEO Center for a New American Security
- Richard N. Haass President Council on Foreign Relations
- Harry Harding University Professor George Washington University->International Affairs
- John D. Negroponte Deputy Secretary Department of State
- Joseph "Joe" R. Biden Jr. U.S. Senator [D] Delaware
- Ben Cardin U.S. Senator [D] Maryland
- Johnny Isakson U.S. Senator [R] Georgia
- John F. Kerry U.S. Senator [D] Massachusetts
- Richard G. Lugar U.S. Senator [R] Indiana
- Lisa Murkowski U.S. Senator [R] Alaska
- Bill Nelson U.S. Senator [D] Florida
- George V Voinovich U.S. Senator [R] Ohio
Future of U.S.-China Relations
Participants discussed the state of political relations between the United States and China and the challenges facing…
U.S. Policy Towards China
Forum participants discussed provisions of the administration’s Chinese policy in the wake of current tensions…
Witnesses testified regarding the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission’s annual report. The…
Ms. Bork talked about U.S.-China relations, focusing on the possible implications of Chinese policy toward Hong…