Progressive Policy Agendas
A panel presented progressive domestic policy initiatives. Shirley Sagawa proposed “An SBA for Non-Profits"' Jason Bordoff… read more
A panel presented progressive domestic policy initiatives. Shirley Sagawa proposed “An SBA for Non-Profits"' Jason Bordoff proposed "Pay-As-You-Drive Car Insurance"; and Lael Brainard proposed a "New Economy Safety Net” for workers displaced by globalization.
Then a panel presented progressive foreign policy initiatives. Lawrence Korb proposed “A Home Guard” to supplement the National Guard; William Galston proposed a “Public Diplomacy Cabinet Post"; and John Irons proposed "Cap and Lease Carbon” rather than cap-and-trade to stop global climate change.
The programs described were among the 20 ideas for the next progressive agenda set forth in the spring issue of Democracy: A Journal of Ideas. Kenneth Baer moderated and participants answered questions following each panel presentation. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Kenneth S. Baer Co-Founder and Co-Editor Democracy: A Journal of Ideas
- Jason E. Bordoff Policy Director Brookings Institution->Hamilton Project
- Lael Brainard Vice President and Founding Director (Former) Brookings Institution->Global Economy and Development Program
- William A. Galston Senior Fellow Brookings Institution->Governance Studies Program
- John Irons Director Economic Policy Institute->Research and Policy
- Lawrence J. Korb Senior Fellow Center for American Progress
- Shirley Sagawa Visiting Fellow Center for American Progress
Iraq Troop Withdrawal Strategy
The Center for American Progress released an updated version of their report “How to Redeploy: Implementing a…
U.S. Policy Toward Iraq
Senator Reed and others spoke to reporters about operations in Iraq and Bush administration policies regarding future…
Role of Ideas in Contemporary Politics
Editors and columnists talked about the launch of a new journal for progressive political ideas, Democracy: A Journal…
Book Discussion on The Good Fight
The panelists discussed Peter Beinart’s book, The Good Fight: Why Liberals--and Only Liberals--Can Win the War on…