Book Discussion on The Pact: Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich...
Steven Gillon talked with James Warren about his book The Pact: Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the Rivalry That Defined a Generation… read more
Steven Gillon talked with James Warren about his book The Pact: Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, and the Rivalry That Defined a Generation (Oxford University Press, June 3, 2008). He talked about the similarities and differences between President Bill Clinton and Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and how the two men worked together. The book focuses on an October 1997 bipartisan compromise on Social Security and Medicare that was derailed by the Monica Lewinsky scandal. Mr. Gillon talked about the cultural response to the 1960s which he believes underlies the divisions in the country. Mr. Gillon responded to questions from members of the audience. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Dizon, Michael Manager Chicago Tribune->Communications
- Gillon, Steven M. Professor University of Oklahoma->History Department
- Warren, James "Jim" C. Managing Editor Chicago Tribune->Features
More Videos From
2008 Printers Row Book Fair
- Book Discussion on Ida: A Sword Among Lions
- Book Discussion on Nixonland
- Book Discussion on Clinton in Exile
- Crime and Punishment Panel
- Book Discussion on A People's History of American Empire
- Book Discussion on The Pact: Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich...
Campaign 2008 Panel
Panelists talked about the presidential election campaigns of Senators Barack Obama and John McCain. Topics…
Crime and Punishment Panel
Authors talked about their books about the judicial system. After each made a presentation, Steven Mills moderated…
Book Discussion on A People's History of American Empire
Paul Buhle and Mike Konopacki talked about the graphic history book they wrote with Howard Zinn, A People’s…
Orville Burton and Richard Brookhiser talked about their books with Gary Johnson.
Orville Vernon Burton is the…