Energy and National Security
Witnesses at a hearing on multi-purpose energy initiatives testified about U.S. oil consumption, reliance on foreign sources of fuel, as… read more
Witnesses at a hearing on multi-purpose energy initiatives testified about U.S. oil consumption, reliance on foreign sources of fuel, as well as planning and building a better infrastructure to support alternative energy sources. They also talked about security concerns related to reliance on foreign oil, global climate change, and the economic benefits of alternative fuels.
T. Boone Pickens, in the first portion of the hearing, suggested that the government invest in building an infrastructure for wind power generation and provide incentives to private business to operate wind power generation facilities. He said the move could potentially reduce consumption of natural gas that could be used for transportation purposes. The second panel responded to Mr. Pickens' proposals and focused on national security and transportation aspects of U.S. energy policy.
Audio technical difficulties. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Anderson, Geoffrey President and CEO Smart Growth America
- Dagher, Habib J. Director University of Maine->Advanced Engineered Wood Composites Center
- Luft, Gal Executive Director Institute for the Analysis of Global Security
- Pickens, T. Boone Jr. Founder, Chairman & CEO BP Capital
- Carper, Thomas "Tom" R. U.S. Senator [D] Delaware
- Collins, Susan M. U.S. Senator [R] Maine
- Domenici, Pete V. U.S. Senator [R] New Mexico
- Lieberman, Joseph "Joe" U.S. Senator [I] Connecticut
- Voinovich, George V U.S. Senator [R] Ohio
Gal Luft talked about a potential oil revenue sharing deal being debated in the Iraqi Parliament. He discusses how…
Rising Oil Prices
Senators heard testimony on the rising price of oil, and the effiency and effectiveness of
Offshore Oil Drilling Proposals
Ben Geman talked about the implications of President Bush’s lifting of the executive ban on offshore drilling and…
Democratic Response to Offshore Oil Drilling
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senator Jeff Bingaman spoke about Democratic energy initiatives in response to…