60th Anniversary of the Integration of the Armed Forces
Following the invocation and the Presentation of the Colors, Congressional leaders and dignitaries commemorated President Truman’s… read more
Following the invocation and the Presentation of the Colors, Congressional leaders and dignitaries commemorated President Truman’s executive order 60 years ago that marked the beginning of racial integration in the armed services. They spoke of the contributions of African-Americans to the military and war efforts, and praised President Truman’s leadership. Sergeant William Perry and Captain Spencer Moore of the 92nd Infantry Buffalo Division, the only African-American infantry division to see combat in Europe during WWII, spoke of their experiences before integration and of the changes since then. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- James E. Clyburn U.S. Representative [D] South Carolina
- Daniel P. Coughlin Chaplain U.S. House of Representatives
- Robert "Bob" M. Gates Secretary Department of Defense
- Mitch McConnell Jr. U.S. Senator [R] Kentucky
- Spencer C. Moore Captain U.S. Army->92nd Infantry Division
- Nancy Pelosi U.S. Representative [D] California
- A. William Perry Sergeant U.S. Army->92nd Infantry Division
- Colin L. Powell Chairman (Former) Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Harry Reid U.S. Senator [D] Nevada
Congressional Celebration of Lincoln's 200th Birthday
President Obama and congressional leaders gathered in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda for a ceremony marking the 200th…
Congressional Gold Medal Ceremony
Michael DeBakey was presented with the Congressional Gold Medal in the Capitol Rotunda.
br/ br/ Dr. DeBakey…
A Celebration of the Legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.
A ceremony was held honoring Martin Luther King, Jr., the day before the 40th anniversary of his death on April 4,…
Iraq War Congressional Remembrance Ceremony
Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, House Republican Leader John Boehner, and Senate Republican…