The subcommittee heard testimony on U.S. immigration policies concerning refugees from Haiti and Cuba. Earlier in the week, the U.S.… read more
The subcommittee heard testimony on U.S. immigration policies concerning refugees from Haiti and Cuba. Earlier in the week, the U.S. Coast Guard began returning Haitian refugees to Haiti after they emigrated to the U.S. following a political coup in their country. The U.S. maintains the refugees emigrated to the U.S. for economic reasons, not political persecution. Representatives of the Department of State and the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service testified on trends in immigrations of refugees. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Maria Dominguez Attorney American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Robert S. Gelbard Deputy Assistant Secretary Department of State->Inter-American Affairs
- Lucas Guttentag Attorney American Civil Liberties Union
- Arthur Helton Attorney Lawyers Committee for Human Rights
- William Leahy Rear Admiral U.S. Coast Guard
- William Lehman U.S. Representative [D] Florida
- Cheryl Little Attorney Haitian Refugee Center
- Jocelyn McCalla Executive Director National Coalition for Haitian Refugees
- Gene McNary Commissioner Immigration and Naturalization Service
- Major R. Owens U.S. Representative [D] New York
- Charles B. Rangel U.S. Representative [D] New York
- Dan Stein Executive Director Federation of Amer. for Immigrat. Reform
Immigration Commissioner, Part 1
The nominee Mr. McNary was introduced by Senators Danforth and Bond and Representative Gephardt.
Civil Liberties and Non-Citizens
Participants talked about immigrant issues and civil liberties of immigrants in light of efforts to combat…
Haitian Refugee Policy
The guests discussed the U.S. immigration policy and its effects on Haitian refugees.
Immigration As A Campaign Issue
The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), held a news conference to encourage the presidential candidates…