Grassroots Organizations and Policy Agenda
Community leaders held a forum to express their agenda for the new administration. Senior advisers to President-Elect Obama, who had… read more
Community leaders held a forum to express their agenda for the new administration. Senior advisers to President-Elect Obama, who had pledged to sit down with grassroots leaders during his transition period if he were elected, attended. Valerie Jarrett had been recently designated to be a White House senior adviser and assistant to the president for intergovernmental relations and public liaison, and Melody Barnes to be the next director of the Domestic Policy Council at the White House.
Juan Williams moderated two roundtable discussions with leaders of grassroots community organizations, members of Congress, representatives of organized labor, policy experts and President-Elect Obama’s transition team. Topics included the economy, health care, employment, immigration reform and the role of community organizations in strengthening our nation’s democratic system.
Valerie Jarrett made closing remarks about the Obama administration’s policy agenda.
“Realizing the Promise: A Forum on Community, Faith and Democracy,” was held at the Washington Hilton by the Gamaliel Foundation and the Center for Community Change’s Campaign for Community Values. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Barnes, Melody C. Co-Director Obama-Biden Transition Project->Agency Review Working Group
- Bhargava, Deepak Executive Director Center for Community Change
- Edwards, Donna F. U.S. Representative [D] Maryland
- Gutiérrez, Luis U.S. Representative [D] Illinois
- Hansen, Joseph T. International President United Food and Commercial Workers Intl.Union
- Holt-Baker, Arlene Executive Vice President AFL-CIO
- Hudson, Gerry Executive Vice President Service Employees International Union
- Jarrett, Valerie Co-Chair Obama-Biden Transition Project
- Johnson, Janice Chairperson Virginia Organizing Project
- McCloud, Ralph Director Catholic Campaign for Human Development
- McDonald, Timothy President Concerned Black Clergy of Atlanta
- McNary, William President U.S. Action
- Mishel, Lawrence President Economic Policy Institute
- Murguia, Janet President and CEO National Council of La Raza
- Pastor, Manuel Jr. Professor University of Southern California->Geography and American Studies and Ethnicity
- Pesqueira, Maria President and CEO Mujeres Latinas en Accion
- Sarbanes, John P. U.S. Representative [D] Maryland
- Stevensen, Grant President ISAIAH
- Turman, Kevin Minister Baptist Church
- Van Hollen, Christopher U.S. Representative [D] Maryland
- Williams, Juan News Analyst National Public Radio