President Obama 2009 Inaugural Ceremony
President Obama addressed the nation following his swearing-in during the presidential inauguration ceremony. In his address he spoke… read more
President Obama addressed the nation following his swearing-in during the presidential inauguration ceremony. In his address he spoke about the themes of sacrifice and renewal, calling on Americans to set aside differences and join in efforts to restore government and make America prosperous for all citizens.
The president was sworn-in by Chief Justice John Roberts. The ceremony also included the swearing-in of Vice President Biden by Associate Justice John Paul Stevens. The invocation was given by Rick Warren and the benediction by Joseph Lowery. Aretha Franklin sang “My Country 'Tis of Thee.” Itzhak Perlman, Yo-Yo Ma, Gabriela Montreo, and Anthony McGill played music composed by John Williams for the occasion. Elizabeth Alexander recited a poem she wrote especially for the Obama inaugural. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Elizabeth Alexander Professor Yale University->African American Studies, American Studies and English
- Joseph "Joe" R. Biden Jr. U.S. Vice President [D] United States
- Dianne Feinstein U.S. Senator [D] California
- Aretha Franklin Entertainer
- Joseph E. Lowery President Emeritus Southern Christian Leadership Conference
- Barack Obama U.S. President United States
- John G. Roberts Jr. Chief Justice U.S. Supreme Court
- John Paul Stevens Associate Justice U.S. Supreme Court
- Rick Warren Founder Saddleback Church
More Videos From
Inaugural Swearing-In CeremonyMore Videos
Inaugural Luncheon Toasts
Toasts were made at a congressional inaugural luncheon in Statuary Hall. President Barack Obama and Vice President…
Martin Luther King Memorial Dedication
At the dedication of the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial on the national mall, participants spoke about…
President Obama 2009 Inaugural Address
President Obama delivered his inaugural address, focusing on themes of sacrifice and renewal.
The address is a…
President Obama Signing Event
As his first official act, President Obama signed cabinet secretary nomination certificates.