Military Commission Jurisdictional Issues
A panel discussion was held on jurisdictional issues of military commissions. Topics included why military commissions exist, who can… read more
A panel discussion was held on jurisdictional issues of military commissions. Topics included why military commissions exist, who can be tried under the military commission process, the effects of Obama administration policy changes, and the power of Congress to define military commissions' subject matter. Panelists responded to questions from audience members at the end of the discussion. Steve Vladeck moderated.
“Jurisdictional Issues” was the second panel of a day-long conference examining the jurisprudence of the military commissions under the Military Commissions Act of 2006 held by American University Washington College of Law and the college’s National Institute of Military Justice. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Gaston, Arthur Prosecutor Illinois->House of Representatives
- Jackson, Jon Counsel Department of Defense->Office of Military Commissions
- Morris, Madeline Professor Duke University->School of Law
- Savage, Michael Prosecutor Department of Defense->Office of Military Commissions
- Thurschwell, Adam Civilian Defense Counsel Department of Defense->Office of Military Commissions
- Vladeck, Stephen I. Associate Professor American University->Washington College of Law
More Videos From
Nat'l Inst. of Military Justice at American Univ.: "Military Cmsn. Practice"
- Military Commission Practice and Jurisprudence
- Military Commission Discovery Issues
- The Future of Military Commissions
Military Commission Discovery Issues
A panel discussion was held on discovery and evidentiary issues of military commissions. They talked about the…
The Future of Military Commissions
The panel focused on the implication of President Obama’s election on military commissions, specifically the…
Overview of Military Commissions
After welcoming remarks, panelists gave an overview of military commission operations and practices. Among the…
Military Commission Practice and Jurisprudence
Major General John D. Altenburg, Jr. talked about military commission practice and jurisprudence.
This was the…