Book Discussion on A New Literary History of America
Greil Marcus and Werner Sollors talked about the book they edited, A New Literary History of America (Belknap Press of Harvard University… read more
Greil Marcus and Werner Sollors talked about the book they edited, A New Literary History of America (Belknap Press of Harvard University Press; September 23, 2009). With their collection of over two hundred essays from numerous contributors, they examine American history through the lens of literature. The subjects of the essays range from Ben Franklin’s letters and George Washington’s farewell address to F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby. But aside from examining compositions that contain the written word, its subjects include war memorials, jazz, museums, comic strips, film, radio, musicals, skyscrapers, cybernetics, and photography. After their opening remarks, Greil Marcus and Werner Sollors responded to questions from the panelists and members of the audience. Professor Bhabha, the moderator, and Harvard University Press executive editor Lindsay Waters also made opening remarks.
Greil Marcus is the author of numerous books, including The Dustbin of History and The Shape of Things to Come.
Werner Sollors is an English literature and African American studies professor at Harvard University. He is the author of Ethnic Modernism and Neither Black nor White yet Both. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Homi K. Bhabha Director Harvard University->Humanities Center
- Laurence Buell Professor Harvard University->American Literature
- Glenda R. Carpio Professor Harvard University->English and African and African American Studies
- Lizabeth Cohen Professor Harvard University->History
- Alexander Keyssar Professor Harvard University->Kennedy (J.F.) School of Government
- Greil Marcus Author
- Werner Sollors Professor Harvard University->English Literature and African American Studies
- Judith Tick Distinguished University Professor Northeastern University->Music Department
- Lindsay Waters Executive Editor Harvard University Press->Humanities
Book Discussion on The Harvard Psychedelic Club
Don Lattin recalls the creation of the Harvard Psilocybin Project (Harvard Psychedelic Club) in 1960-1961 by a group of…
Book Discussion on Outliers: The Story of Success
Malcolm Gladwell talked about his book Outliers: The Story of Success (Little, Brown and Company; November 18, 2008).…
Book Discussion on Twilight of the Elites
Christopher Hayes contends that Americans distrust of once respected institutions is due to the failures of our leaders…
Book Discussion on A Consumers' Republic: The Politics of Mass Consumption
Ms. Cohen talked about her book A Consumers' Republic: The Politics of Mass Consumption in Postwar America,…