Gay Marriage and Proposition 8
Panelists presented their reflections on the passage in November 2008 of Proposition 8, or the California Marriage Protection Act, a ban on… read more
Panelists presented their reflections on the passage in November 2008 of Proposition 8, or the California Marriage Protection Act, a ban on same-sex marriage in California. Then they responded to questions from members of the audience. Leisa Meyer chaired.
“Gay Marriage and Proposition 8: Reflections” was a program of the 124th annual meeting of the American Historical Association sponsored by the AHA Working Group for Historical Perspectives on Same-Sex Marriage with the AHA Professional Division, the AHA LGBTQ Historians Task Force, and the Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender History. This program was held at the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Brick, Christopher Graduate Student Brown University->History Department
- Manion, Jennifer Founding Director Connecticut College->Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer Resource Center
- Meyer, Leisa Associate Professor College of William and Mary->History and American Studies
- Walton, Jonathan L. Assistant Professor University of California, Riverside->Religious Studies Department
- White, Heather Visiting Assistant Professor New College of Florida->Religion
History of Marriage, Race, and Sexuality
Linda Heywood chaired a panel discussion on the history of marriage, race, and sexuality.
California Latino Community
Governor Jerry Brown (D-CA) and California Attorney General Kamala Harris talked about California’s Latino…
Google and the Study of History
Historians talked about historical research and the use of web-based search engines like Google. Among the topics…
Mary McLeod Bethune Memorial
Historian Richard Norton Smith talked about the statue in Washington, D.C., of Mary McLeod Bethune. Topics…