Public Defender System
The Department of Justice held a symposium on the public defender system. Attorney General Eric Holder gave the keynote… read more
The Department of Justice held a symposium on the public defender system. Attorney General Eric Holder gave the keynote address. In his remarks he promised the Justice Department under his direction would not forget about the needs of the public defender system.
Panelists talked about the public defender system. In 1963 the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the felony conviction of Clarence Earl Gideon after he was denied a request for free legal counsel. The Court ruled that state courts are required under the Sixth Amendment to provide counsel in criminal cases for defendants who cannot afford counsel. Jo-Ann Wallace moderated. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Avis Buchanan Director District of Columbia->Public Defender Service
- Michael Cherry Judge Nevada->Supreme Court
- Nancy Diehl Attorney
- Eric H. Holder Jr. Attorney General Department of Justice
- Lydia Jackson Senator Louisiana->State Senate
- Norman Lefstein Professor and Dean Emeritus Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- Charles J. Ogletree Jr. Professor Harvard University->Law School
- Laurie Robinson Assistant Attorney General Department of Justice
- Jo-Ann Wallace President and CEO National Legal Aid and Defenders Assn.
More Videos From
Department of Justice: National Symposium on Indigent Defense
Panelists talked about innovations in the juvenile defense system. Kristen Henning moderated.
The Department of…
Police Integrity Conference
Participants discussed several programs designed to improve relations between communities and their police…
New York City Bombing Attempt
Attorney General Eric Holder and other officials provided an update on the investigation into the attempted car bombing…
Financial Fraud Efforts
Attorney General Eric Holder announced new plans to fight the increase in mortgage, health care, white collar, public,…