Future of the American Economy Panel
Authors talked about their books about the U.S. economy. They responded to questions from members of the audience. Jon Wiener… read more
Authors talked about their books about the U.S. economy. They responded to questions from members of the audience. Jon Wiener moderated.
The panelists were: Joyce Appleby, The Relentless Revolution: A History of Capitalism (W.W. Norton & Company; January 4, 2010); Roger Farmer, How the Economy Works: Confidence, Crashes, and Self-Fulfilling Prophecies (Oxford University Press, USA (April 8, 2010); Steven Hill, Europe’s Promise: Why the European Way Is the Best Hope in an Insecure Age (University of California Press; January 19, 2010); and Matt Miller, [The Tyranny of Dead Ideas: Letting Go of the Old Ways of Thinking to Unleash a New Prosperity (Times Books; January 6, 2009).
“Does the American Economy Have a Future?” was an 11:00 a.m. PT panel of the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books in Haines 39 on the UCLA campus on Sunday, April 25, 2010.
The program began and concluded with scenes from outside the hall as upcoming programs were announced. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Joyce O. Appleby Professor Emerita University of California, Los Angeles->History Department
- Roger E. A. Farmer Distinguished Professor University of California, Los Angeles->Economics Department
- Steven Hill Director New America Foundation->Political Reform Program
- Matthew "Matt" Miller Senior Fellow Center for American Progress Action Fund
- Jon Wiener Contributing Editor Nation, The
More Videos From
2010 LA TIMES FESTIVAL OF BOOKS
- Book Discussion on Beyond Fundamentalism
- Scientific Uncertainty Panel
- Book Discussion on Murder City
- Middle East Panel
- Book Discussion on Between Two Worlds
- 2010 Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, Sunday
Panel on the Port Huron Statement
Panelists talked about student unrest in the 1960s. Tom Hayden was the original drafter of "The Port Huron Statement",…
Defining American Character
Authors talked about “Defining American Character” and their relevant books. After their presentations…
Panel on the Cold War
Authors talked about their books on the Cold War, and also responded to questions from members of the audience.*The…
2013 Los Angeles Times Festival of Books - Sunday
Book TV’s coverage of the last day of the 2013 Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, held on the University of…