African-American History Panel
Former fellows in the Schomburg Center’s Scholar-in-Residence program talked about the problem of presenting a balanced view of black… read more
Former fellows in the Schomburg Center’s Scholar-in-Residence program talked about the problem of presenting a balanced view of black history in their books. Professor Miller included images in her presentation. There was no time for questions from members of the audience. Howard Dodson moderated.
The authors were: Monica L. Miller, Slaves to Fashion: Black Dandyism and the Styling of Black Diasporic Identity (Duke University Press); Frank A. Guridy, Forging Diaspora: Afro-Cubans and African-Americans in a World of Empire and Jim Crow (University of North Carolina Press); and Stephen Gillroy Hall, A Faithful Account of the Race: African American Historical Writing in Nineteenth Century America (University of North Carolina Press).
“Can We Tell the Truth About the Black Past?” was a panel of the 12th annual Harlem Book Fair from the Langston Hughes Auditorium in the New York Public Library’s Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Dodson, Howard Jr. Director Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture
- Guridy, Frank A. Associate Professor University of Texas at Austin->Department of African and African Diaspora Studies
- Hall, Stephen Gillroy Author
- Miller, Monica L. Associate Professor Barnard College->English Department
- Palmer, Colin A. Director Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture->Scholars-in-Residence Program
More Videos From
2010 HARLEM BOOK FAIR
- Barack Obama and Human Rights
- Biography and Memoir Panel
- Diversity in Children's and Young Adult Publishing
- African-American History Panel
- Reading in the Digital Age
- 2010 Harlem Book Fair
Phillis Wheatley Book Awards
The presentation of the Phillis Wheatley Book Awards opened the 12th annual Harlem Book Fair. The award, named for…
African-American Language and Culture Panel
A panel discussion was held on the politics of language and culture. The panelists discussed topics including the…
African-American History and Biography Panel
Authors talked about their biographies about the achievements of African Americans. Ms. Wills…
Bicentennial of the Abolition of Transatlantic Slave Trade to the U.S.
The panel talked about the Transatlantic Slave Trade in relative and contemporary frameworks. They reviewed recent…