Bullying Prevention Summit
Speakers talked about the role of law enforcement agencies in the prevention of bullying. Thomas Perrelli in his remarks talked about… read more
Speakers talked about the role of law enforcement agencies in the prevention of bullying. Thomas Perrelli in his remarks talked about the relationship between childhood and adolescent bullying and the commission of crimes such as domestic violence and sexual assault as adults. Russlynn Ali talked about the role of the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Education. Among the issues she addressed were how to file complaints and the difference between harassment and bullying. After their speeches, they answered questions from the audience.
A second panel of administrators talked about anti-bullying efforts in their schools. Among the topics they addressed were staff training, the Iowa Safe Schools Law, teaching strategies, and the creation of student groups to assist in prevention. Following their prepared remarks, panelists responded to questions from members of the audience. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Russlynn Ali Assistant Secretary Department of Education->Civil Rights
- Jack Barnes Superintendent Sullivan County (TN) Schools
- Jim Dillon Principal (Former) Lynwood Elementary School (New York)
- Kevin Jennings Assistant Deputy Secretary Department of Education->Safe and Drug-Free Schools
- Mary Lou Leary Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Department of Justice
- Thomas J. Perrelli Associate Attorney General Department of Justice
- Ryan Roemerman Executive Director Iowa Pride Network
- Ken Seeley President and CEO National Center for School Engagement
- Amy Williamson Consultant Iowa 2nd Dist Democratic Central Cmte->Department of Education
Research on Bullying
A panel of child development researchers presented scientific research on bullying. Topics included aggressive…
Impact of Bullying in Schools
Following prepared remarks, panelists talked about the impact of bullying in schools and various programs designed to…
Representatives from the medical and criminal justice communities and teen mentors discussed current programs to help…
Bullying Prevention Summit, Lessons Learned
Panelists discussed what programs and methods had been found most helpful in preventing bullying.