50th Anniversary of the Sharon Statement
Panel discussions on the history and future of the conservative movement were held. At the end of each panel the panelists responded… read more
Panel discussions on the history and future of the conservative movement were held. At the end of each panel the panelists responded to questions from members of the audience.
Wayne Thorburn, author of A Generation Awakes: Young Americans for Freedom and the Creation of the Conservative Movement (Jameson Books, 2010), moderated the first panel, on the influence of the Sharon Statement. Don Devine moderated the second panel on the future of freedom.
The Sharon Statement was adopted at a conference at Bill Buckley, Jr.'s home in Sharon, Connecticut, on 11 September 1960. It is a founding statement of the principles of the Young Americans for Freedom and seminal in the modern conservative movement. This event was held at the Mayflower Renaissance Hotel to mark the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Sharon Statement. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Michael Barone Senior Political Analyst Washington Examiner
- Donald J. Devine Senior Fellow Bellevue University->Center for American Vision and Values
- Lee Edwards Distinguished Fellow Heritage Foundation->Conservative Thought
- Quin Hillyer Senior Writer Washington Times->Editorial Page
- James Kolbe U.S. Representative (Former) [R] Arizona
- Roger R. Ream President and COO Fund for American Studies
- Alfred S. Regnery Publisher American Spectator
- Wayne J. Thorburn Executive Director (Former) Young Americans for Freedom
- Richard A. Viguerie Chair ConservativeHQ.com
Book Discussion on A Generation Awakes
Wayne Thorburn talked about his book A Generation Awakes: Young Americans for Freedom and the Creation of the…
Panel on Conservative Books
Panelists discussed conservative books. After the panelists made reading recommendations, they all responded to…
Great Books to Read in College
Panelists talked to college students about building a well-rounded education, developing a conservative world view, and…
Republican Agenda Post-2012 Election
Conservatives discussed the implications of 2012 election results to their movement. They criticized failed…