Five former presidential speechwriters discussed the role of presidential speechwriters throughout history and their relationships with the… read more
Five former presidential speechwriters discussed the role of presidential speechwriters throughout history and their relationships with the presidents they served. Topics included their assessments of President Obama’s rhetoric. They also responded to questions from members of the audience.
Panel: Ted Sorensen, adviser and primary speechwriter for President Kennedy; Chris Matthews, speechwriter for President Carter; Landon Parvin, speechwriter for President Ronald Reagan and both Presidents Bush; Michael Waldman, speechwriter for President Clinton; and Michael Gerson, speechwriter for President George W. Bush. The moderator was Ken Walsh.
“Presidential Speechwriters: Making History One Word at a Time” was an evening presentation of the Smithsonian Associates. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Michael J. Gerson Chief Speech Writer (Former) White House->Office of the President
- Chris Matthews Speech Writer (Former) White House->Office of the President
- Landon Parvin Speech Writer (Former) White House->Office of the President
- Ruth Robbins Coordinator Smithsonian Associates->Education and Cultural Programs
- Theodore "Ted" C. Sorensen Speech Writer (Former) White House->Office of the President
- Michael Waldman Chief Assistant (Former) White House->Office of Speechwriting
- Kenneth T. Walsh Senior Correspondent U.S. News and World Report->White House
Obama Administration Speeches and Rhetoric
Political speechwriters and other communications professionals talked about the rhetoric used by President Obama in his…
After Words with Ken Walsh
The veteran White House correspondent explores the long history of black service in the home of the president of the…
Presidential Libraries Symposium
Representatives of public and private presidential libraries and museums gathered for a congressional symposium on…
Veteran pollsters Mark Penn, Ed Goeas, Stan Greenberg, and political analyst Bill Schneider discussed presidential…