Counterinsurgency and Reconstruction Programs in Vietnam
A panel discussion was held on counterinsurgency and reconstruction programs in Vietnam between 1946 and 1975. Mr. Hunt… read more
A panel discussion was held on counterinsurgency and reconstruction programs in Vietnam between 1946 and 1975. Mr. Hunt moderated. After the presentations the panelists responded to questions from members of the audience.
Elie Tenenbaum and Jean-Marc LePage spoke about “French-American Relations in Intelligence and Counterinsurgency during the First Indochina War;” Geoffrey Stewart spoke about “Community Development, Modernization and Exceptionalism in South Vietnam, 1957-1963;” Robert Kodosky spoke about “To Forgive and Forget: The Forgotten Lessons of Dai Doan Ket, a Program for National Reconciliation in Vietnam, 1967"1972;” and Pierre Journoud commented.
“The Battle for Hearts and Minds: Counterinsurgency and Reconstruction Programs in Vietnam” was a panel held September 30, 2010, during the International Conference on: “The American Experience in Southeast Asia, 1946"1975” by the The U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Public Affairs, Office of the Historian at their George C. Marshall Conference Center.* close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Carland, John M. Senior Historian Department of State->Office of the Historian
- Hunt, Richard A. Historian Department of Defense->Office of the Secretary
- Journoud, Pierre Research Fellow Ecole Militaire->Institute of Strategic Research
- Kodosky, Robert J. Assistant Professor West Chester University->History Department
- Le Page, Jean-Marc Teacher Kerraoul High School->History
- Stewart, Geoffrey C. Assistant Professor University of Western Ontario->History Department
- Tenenbaum, Elie Graduate Student Paris Institute of Political Studies->History
More Videos From
The American Experience in Southeast AsiaMore Videos
Force and Diplomacy in the Vietnam War
A panel discussion was held on the use of force and diplomacy during the Vietnam War. Mr. Keefer…
Intervention in Vietnam, Reaction in America
A panel discussion was held on the impact of the Vietnam War on the home front in the United…
Defense Department Leadership and the Vietnam War
Robert McNamara served as defense secretary from 1961 to 1968 under President Kennedy and President Johnson. His…
President Nixon and the Paris Peace Accords
Critics of the Vietnam War have argued that President Richard Nixon unnecessarily prolonged the conflict while others…