Situation in Sudan and South Sudan
Witnesses testified on the independence of and insecurity in Sudan and South Sudan. Committee members discussed U.S. policies toward… read more
Witnesses testified on the independence of and insecurity in Sudan and South Sudan. Committee members discussed U.S. policies toward Sudan and South Sudan, including how the two countries can share oil revenues and Sudan’s continued presence on the list of countries that provide support to international terrorism.
In the first panel, Princeton Lyman and Nancy Lindborg detailed the continuing humanitarian crisis in South Sudan. Ms. Lindborg warned that if the current restriction on aid is not lifted, the nation could be faced with famine by April.
During the second panel, George Clooney testified about his visit to Southern Sudan, describing an atmosphere of fear amongst the residents due to attacks allegedly perpetrated by Sudan President Omar Hassan Ahmad Al-Bashir. These attacks, he said, have driven many people to live in caves.
A short video of Clooney’s trip to the area was also played for the committee. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Jon Temin Senior Program Officer U.S. Institute of Peace->Sudan
- Ben Cardin U.S. Senator [D] Maryland
- George Clooney Actor
- Chris Coons U.S. Senator [D] Delaware
- Bob Corker U.S. Senator [R] Tennessee
- Johnny Isakson U.S. Senator [R] Georgia
- John F. Kerry U.S. Senator [D] Massachusetts
- Nancy E. Lindborg Assistant Administrator U.S. Agency for International Development->Bureau for Democracy, Conflict and Humanitarian Assistance
- Richard "Dick" G. Lugar U.S. Senator [R] Indiana
- Princeton N. Lyman Negotiator Department of State->Sudan
- Bob Menendez U.S. Senator [D] New Jersey
- John Prendergast Co-Founder Enough Project
- Jeanne Shaheen U.S. Senator [D] New Hampshire
- Mark Udall U.S. Senator [D] Colorado
- Tom Udall U.S. Senator [D] New Mexico
Civil Unrest in South Sudan
Witnesses testified at a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing about the civil unrest and growing ethnic violence…
Situation in Sudan
Princeton N. Lyman, U.S. special envoy for Sudan, gave an overview of U.S. policies toward Sudan and South Sudan…
Future of Sudan
Following their return from Sudan, George Clooney and John Prendergast talked about the political and security…
Genocide in Darfur
A rally was held on the National Mall before the U.S. Capitol to raise public awareness of genocide in the Darfur…