Public and Private Universities
Panelists talked about the future of public research universities. Scott Jaschik moderated the presentation “Sustaining… read more
Panelists talked about the future of public research universities. Scott Jaschik moderated the presentation “Sustaining Excellence in Research, Scholarship, and the Arts.” Topics included the quality of public versus private universities, focusing on faculty, funding, and majors that would lead to jobs. Tamar Lewin moderated the final panel, summarizing the themes of the conference. Topics included cost, competition for out-of-state students, online courses, adult education, the influence of U.S. News and World Report rankings, and efforts by schools to improve their ranking.
“Precipice or Crossroads: A Symposium on the Future of Public Research Universities” was a three-day symposium held by the University of Vermont. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Dabars, William Research Fellow Arizona State University->University Design
- Duderstadt, James J. President Emeritus University of Michigan
- Ehrenberg, Ronald G. Director Cornell Higher Education Research Institute
- Fogel, Daniel Mark President (Former) University of Vermont
- Grasso, Domenico Vice President University of Vermont->Research
- Jaschik, Scott Co-Founder and Editor Inside Higher Ed
- Lewin, Tamar Correspondent New York Times
- McPherson, M. Peter President Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities
- Sullivan, Thomas President University of Vermont
- Wellman, Jane V. Founder and Executive Director (Former) Delta Project on Postsecondary Educatioin Costs, Productivity and Accountability
Changes in Higher Education
Panelists talked about changes in higher education. Topics included cost, competition for out-of-state students,…
The Morrill Act of 1862 and Land-Grant Universities
A look at The Morrill Act and its effect on the system of higher education. Panelists include five Presidents from…
College Tuition Affordability
The subcommittee held a hearing on the rising costs of higher education and potential ways to reduce tuition and…
Issues of the day were reviewed.
Tamar Lewin talked by telephone about her article “For-Profit Colleges Step Up…