1990 Federal Budget Deal
Former congressional leaders talked about the process of reaching their 1990 deficit agreement that eventually helped bring the federal… read more
Former congressional leaders talked about the process of reaching their 1990 deficit agreement that eventually helped bring the federal budget into surplus. Topics included the major leaders in the agreement, and the actions and compromises that ultimately led to compromise.
Former Representative Tom Davis (R-VA) made opening remarks about some of the trends contributing to contemporary congressional gridlock.
At the time of this discussion, current congressional leaders were involved in negotiations to avoid the “fiscal cliff.” "Fiscal cliff" referred to impending tax increases and sequestration budget cuts at the end of 2012 if Congress failed to reach a new budget agreement.*"Sequestration," a legal procedure in which automatic budget cuts are triggered, was agreed to in the Budget Control Act of 2011. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Barry Anderson Deputy Director (Former) Congressional Budget Office
- Thomas "Tom" M. Davis U.S. Representative (Former) [R] Virginia
- Pete V. Domenici U.S. Senator (Former) [R] New Mexico
- Thomas "Tom" S. Foley U.S. Representative (Former) [D] Washington
- William Eldridge Frenzel U.S. Representative (Former) [R] Minnesota
- G. William Hoagland Minority Staff Director Senate Budget Committee
- David R. Obey U.S. Representative (Former) [D] Wisconsin
- Paul Posner Professor George Mason University->Public Administration
- Robert D. Reischauer Director (Former) Congressional Budget Office
- John Sununu Chief of Staff (Former) White House
More Videos From
Lessons from the 1990 Budget Deal
U.S. Debt and Fiscal Outlook
A bipartisan group of former government officials and members of Congress talked about federal debt and the…
Federal Budget Process, Panel 1
Former congressional leaders and cabinet officials talked about problems with and ways to reform the budget…
Federal Budget Process, Panel 2
Former government and congressional staffers talked about reforming the federal budget process.
This was the second…
Budget and Working with Congress
A former congressional staffer, two former U.S. Representatives, and President George H.W. Bush’s chief of staff…