U.S. Postal Service Oversight
Witnesses testified on the financial problems and long-term viability of the U.S. Postal Service. The hearing happened one week after… read more
Witnesses testified on the financial problems and long-term viability of the U.S. Postal Service. The hearing happened one week after Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe announced plans to end Saturday letter delivery in an effort cut costs.
The chair and ranking member of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee testified, disagreeing on whether the postmaster general’s announced move to a five-day letter delivery service was the right one, but saying they believed a bipartisan-bicameral deal was within reach. Mr. Donahoe detailed the postal service’s financial problems and said that according to his attorneys he does have the constitutional authority for his plans. Union leaders and representatives of private industry that rely on Saturday letter mail service protested his plan. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Eugene "Gene" L. Dodaro Comptroller General Government Accountability Office
- Jeanette P. Dwyer President National Rural Letter Carriers' Assn.
- Kelly A. Ayotte U.S. Senator [R] New Hampshire
- Mark Begich U.S. Senator [D] Alaska
- Thomas "Tom" R. Carper U.S. Senator [D] Delaware
- Thomas "Tom" A. Coburn M.D. U.S. Senator [R] Oklahoma
- Elijah Cummings U.S. Representative [D] Maryland
- Patrick R. Donahoe Postmaster General U.S. Postal Service
- Michael "Mike" B. Enzi U.S. Senator [R] Wyoming
- R. "Rick" Richard Geddes Associate Professor Cornell University->Department of Policy Analysis and Management
- Cliff Guffey President American Postal Workers Union AFL-CIO
- Mary "Heidi" Kathryn Heitkamp U.S. Senator [D] North Dakota
- Darrell Issa U.S. Representative [R] California
- Carl Levin U.S. Senator [D] Michigan
- Mark Pryor U.S. Senator [D] Arkansas
- Joel Quadracci Chairman, President, and CEO Quad/Graphics
- Robert "Bob" J. Rapoza National President National Association of Postmasters of the U.S.
- Jon Tester U.S. Senator [D] Montana
Postal Service Outlook
U.S. Postal Service officials and interest group representatives testified on a draft bill to improve the…
Postal Service Reform
Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe and others testified on how to make the U.S. Postal Service successful in the 21st…
Postal Service Reform
Postal Service leaders, government officials, employee advocates, and economic and accounting experts testified on…
U.S. Postal Service Finances, Panel 1
Witnesses testified about the Postal Service’s financial difficulties. They presented proposals to fix the…