Student Financial Aid, Part 1
Panelists talked about the history and development of student financial aid policies over the preceding 50 years and what improvements were… read more
Panelists talked about the history and development of student financial aid policies over the preceding 50 years and what improvements were needed to better benefit students and families. Daniel Madzelan presented his paper, “The Politics of Student Aid,” and David Mundel presented “Building a Foundation of 'Actionable Knowledge': Research that Can Improve the Performance of Federal Student Aid Policies.” They then were joined in a discussion by Sandy Baum and Diane Auer Jones. Sara Goldrick-Rab moderated. The program was opened by a presentation from Andrew Kelly during which he used slides.
“Back to the future: Lessons from a half-century of financial aid policy” was a panel of the conference, “The trillion-dollar question: Reinventing student financial aid for the 21st century.” close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Baum, Sandy Senior Fellow George Washington University->Graduate School of Education and Human Development
- Goldrick-Rab, Sara Y. Associate Professor University of Wisconsin-Madison->Department of Educational Policy Studies
- Jones, Diane Auer Assistant Secretary (Former) Department of Education->Postsecondary Education
- Kelly, Andrew P. Founding Director American Enterprise Institute->Center on Higher Education Reform
- Madzelan, Daniel T. Assistant Secretary (Acting, Former) Department of Education->Postsecondary Education
- Mundel, David Consultant
More Videos From
Student Financial AidMore Videos
Student Financial Aid, Part 3
Panelists talked about the re-examining the current system of student financial aid, focusing on grants. Sara…
Student Financial Aid, Part 2
Panelists talked about the difficulties in navigating the opportunities for student financial aid…
Student Financial Aid, Part 4
Panelists examined the idea of income-based student loan repayment plans. Issues included default rates and the…
Student Financial Aid, Part 5
Student financial aid experts discussed reforming the system. Andrew Kelly moderated.