Status of Black Males
The Congressional Caucus on Black Men and Boys held its first hearing, titled “The Status of Black Males: Ensuring Our Boys Mature… read more
The Congressional Caucus on Black Men and Boys held its first hearing, titled “The Status of Black Males: Ensuring Our Boys Mature Into Strong Men.” Much of the hearing focused on the achievement gap of black males, racial profiling, and the justice system. Among the witnesses was Tracy Martin, the father of Trayvon Martin who in February 2012 was fatally shot while walking through a Sanford, Florida, gated community. Neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman was acquitted of the crime in July 2013. Mr. Martin in his testimony said, “We will not let the verdict sum up who Trayvon was.” Michael Eric Dyson said that President Obama must speak out more often on racial issues in the United States.
The hearing did not resume after a recess was called. close
People in this video
- Danny Davis U.S. Representative [D] Illinois
- Michael Eric Dyson University Professor Georgetown University->Sociology
- David Johns Executive Director White House->Initiative on Educational Excellence for African Americans
- Tracy Martin Father
- Kweisi Mfume U.S. Representative (Former) [D] Maryland
- Eleanor Holmes Norton Congressional Delegate [D] District of Columbia
- Cedric Levon Richmond U.S. Representative [D] Louisiana
- Frederica Wilson U.S. Representative [D] Florida
The House convened for a legislative session to consider a short-term extension of the Highway Funding bill.
Agriculture Department Loan Discrimination
The Congressional Black Caucus held a forum in which they heard black farmers tell of Agriculture Department…
House Session, Part 1
The U.S. House of Representatives convened for a legislative session.
The House considered H.R. 2632, a bill that reauthorizes only farm programs.