First Lady Grace Coolidge
Amity Shlaes and Cyndy Bittinger talked about the life and influence of first lady Grace Coolidge and responded to telephone calls and… read more
Amity Shlaes and Cyndy Bittinger talked about the life and influence of first lady Grace Coolidge and responded to telephone calls and electronic communications. Topics included role as a style icon, her causes, and renovating the White House.
Video clips were shown of William Jenney and Kate Bradley giving tours of the Coolidge family home and archives in Plymouth Notch, Vermont. A video clip was shown of Julie Bartlett Nelson giving a tour of the Clarke School for the Deaf in Northampton, Massachusetts, where Grace Coolidge was working when she met Calvin Coolidge.
Many silent film clips were shown, including with celebrities such as Charles Lindbergh and Helen Keller. Also shown was a clip of the first presidential sound with film recording and one of former first lady Grace Coolidge. A video clip was shown of the Solarium from the documentary The White House: Inside America’s Most Famous Home.
This was the 21st episode in the C-SPAN series “First Ladies: Influence and Image.” close
People in this video
- Cynthia "Cyndy" D. Bittinger Executive Director (Former) Calvin Coolidge Memorial Foundation
- Kate E. Bradley Director (Former) Calvin Coolidge Memorial Foundation->Engagement and Special Collections
- William Jenney Regional Administrator Vermont Division for Historic Preservation->State Owned Historic Sites
- Julie Bartlett Nelson Archivist Calvin Coolidge Presidential Library and Museum
- Amity Shlaes Chair Calvin Coolidge Memorial Foundation->Board of Trustees
- Susan Swain Host C-SPAN
First Lady Florence Harding
David Pietrusza and Katherine Sibley talked about the life and influence of first lady Florence Harding and responded…
First Lady Lou Hoover
Annette Dunlap and Emily Charnock talked about the life and influence of first lady Lou Hoover and responded to…
First Ladies Ellen Wilson and Edith Wilson
Mr. Cooper and Ms. Miller talked about the lives and influences of first ladies Ellen Wilson and Edith…
First Lady Helen Taft
Lewis Gould and Jane Hampton Cook talked about the life and influence of first lady Helen “Nellie” Taft and…