Saturday Night Massacre 40th Anniversary
William Ruckelshaus, Bob Woodward, Jill Wine-Banks and others spoke at an event commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Saturday Night… read more
William Ruckelshaus, Bob Woodward, Jill Wine-Banks and others spoke at an event commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Saturday Night Massacre, when President Nixon fired Watergate Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox.
On October 20, 1973, the Watergate scandal reached a crisis point when President Nixon fired Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox and abolished the office of the special prosecutor, prompting the resignations of Attorney General Elliot Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William Ruckelshaus. These events became known as the “Saturday Night Massacre.”
“The Saturday Night Massacre - A 40-year Retrospective” was hosted by the National Press Club. close
*The transcript for this program was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.
People in this video
- Jim Doyle Attorney
- Ken Gormley Professor Duquesne University->School of Law
- Philip B. Heymann Deputy Attorney General (Former) Department of Justice->Criminal Division
- Gil Klein President (Former) National Press Club
- William D. Ruckelshaus Deputy Attorney General (Former) Department of Justice
- Jill Wine-Banks Assistant Special Prosecutor (Former) Department of Justice->Watergate Special Prosecution Force.
- Bob Woodward Associate Editor Washington Post
After Words with John Dean
John Dean talked about his book, The Nixon Defense: What He Knew and When He Knew It, in which he looks at the…
40th Anniversary of President Nixon's Resignation
Carl Bernstein, Bob Woodward, and others marked the 40th anniversary of the resignation of President Richard…
Presidential Decision-Making After Vietnam
Marvin Kalb talked about the impact of the Vietnam War on presidential decision-making. He spoke about military…
40th Anniversary of Watergate, Panel 3
On the 40th anniversary of Watergate, we hear from the Washington Post reporters who first broke the story, Bob…